- Physician & Provider Search
- Aleksander Komar, M.D.
Aleksander Komar, M.D.
Medical Training and Education
- Doctor of Medicine Degree from Medical University of Gdansk, Poland
- Surgery Residency at the Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York
- Gastrointestinal Physiology Fellowship at Stanford University
- Surgical Critical Care Fellowship at the State University of New York at Stony Brook
- The American Board of Surgery (Certified)
Experienced, Board-Certified General Surgeon Serving Melbourne, FL
Dr. Aleksander Komar joined Medical Associates of Brevard to provide our patients the benefit of advanced laparoscopic surgery and personal approach to the care of the patient.
Dr. Komar graduated from Medical University of Gdansk, Poland in 1992. After graduation, he accepted appointment as an assistant professor of Surgery at the Department of Surgery at his medical school. In 1993 Dr. Komar moved to California where he prepared for American licensing examinations and did voluntary research work at Stanford University. In 1995, Dr. Komar started Residency in Surgery at The Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY. One year of his residency was dedicated to research and for that year he returned to California where he completed a Gastrointestinal Physiology Fellowship at Stanford University. After graduation from his residency he continued his training at State University of New York at Stony Brook where he completed Fellowship in Trauma and Surgical Critical Care.
After graduation, Dr. Komar joined the University of Florida at Jacksonville as an assistant professor and was assigned to the Holmes Regional Trauma Center. In September 2003, Dr. Komar joined Medical Associates of Brevard as an attending surgeon. Dr. Komar is Board Certified in Surgery and Surgical Critical Care by the American Board of Surgery. His main interests are minimally invasive (laparoscopic) surgery and surgery of the gastrointestinal tract. One of his areas of expertise is laparoscopic repair of complex ventral and incisional hernias which provides the patient with lower recurrence rate, fewer complications and faster recovery. When you are seeing your surgeon in consultation ask him if your operation can be done laparoscopically.
Over last couple of years, Dr. Komar worked at ORMC as a trauma surgeon and ICU director. He continues to take call as a trauma surgeon managing most critical patients and teaching residents.
Dr. Komar is proficient with many surgical procedures such as:
Thyroid and parathyroid surgery
Breast surgery for cancer and benign breast diseases including:
- image guided biopsies,
- sentinel lymph node biopsies
- breast conservation therapy for breast cancer
- laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication
- resection of gastric tumors for benign and malignant diseases
- laparoscopic splenectomy
- laparoscopic repair of diaphragmatic hernia
- laparoscopic and open smal bowell surgery
- pancreatic surgery
- laparoscopic and open colon surgery for cancer and benign diseases
- laparosopcic and open colostomy and reversal of colostomy
- repair of anal fistula and fissure
- laparoscopic and open low anterior resection
- abdomino-perineal resection
- laparoscopic and open inguinal hernia repair
- laparosopic and open incisional hernia repair
- laparoscipic and open repair of ventral hernia
- laparosopcic and open cholecystectomy
- liver surgery
bile duct surgery
This list is not all-inclusive and there is many surgical procedures Dr. Komar performs and performed over 20 years of his career.
In his time off, Dr. Komar enjoys family life, boating and scuba diving.
Discover the Benefits of Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic Surgery
Call (321) 425-3470 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Komar